Hey lovelies! I've finally come around to doing a hair care post. I get a lot of comments on my hair because I like to keep it long. People always ask me what I use in it and how I keep it that length while still keeping it healthy, so I thought I'd make a post about it. I hope you enjoy reading this and/or find this helpful!
♡ Background ♡
- My hair is fine and thin, but I have a lot of it!
- It has never been dyed.
- How often do you cut your hair? Generally, every 6 months or so. Or whenever it becomes irritably unmanageable.
- How often do you wash your hair? Every other day, sometimes every 2 days! I could go every 3 days, but because of my scalp psoriasis, it becomes unbearable after 2 days. :/
- How often do you use heat on your hair? I curl it once or twice a week. But I only do it to touch up dull curls after sleeping in braids.
The truth is I'm really insecure about my hair. I used to tease my hair a lot in high school and that damaged my hair a lot, causing it to thin out over the years. It has been 5 years since high school but I still feel like it isn't as full as it once was. If you tease your hair, please remember to use hair masks that promote healthy scalp and hair on a weekly basis to keep your hair strong. Another thing that makes me insecure about my hair is my psoriasis. I've had psoriasis since I was little but it wasn't always on my scalp. ***Just a little note for you: psoriasis is a chronic skin condition, the cause is unknown. It cannot be fully treated but it can be contained through various types of medication. *** A few years ago I noticed my scalp getting more and more irritating (because of the psoriasis), to the point where the discomfort would keep me up at night. I'm currently trying different things to make it more tolerable. My shampoo changes often because of it. I've been prescribed a steroid treatment but my dermatologist also suggested Nizoral (a scalp shampoo you can get at Target) which has helps a little.
Anyways! Just remember that what works for me might not work for you and that everyones skin and body is different. This is just what works for me and if you try any of these products out, please let me know how they work out (✿◠‿◠) , Good luck!
(Clickwise: Nizoral (shampoo), Superbalm (scalp treatment), Retread (conditioner), American Cream (conditioner), R&B (hair moisturizer/leave-in conditioner)
♡ Treatments ♡
To prep my hair before washing, I use a scalp treatment called Superbalm. It's a balm-ey texture that melts at your fingertips. The extra virgin coconut oil helps moisturize flakey, dry areas, while lavender, rose and chamomile oil help soothe. I massage the product in and leave it for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes, I wrap my hair in a towel and leave it on over night and then rinse it out in the morning with my shampoo and conditioner.
♡ Shampoo ♡
I use Nizoral as a shampoo to help with my psoriasis, but I also occasionally use Shampoo Bars from LUSH, I just happen to be out right now so I didn't have any to include in the photos. I like the Honey I Washed My Hair and the New shampoo bars from LUSH. Honey I Washed My Hair is a great one for those with really long or thick hair. There's tons of honey in it, which is good for moisturizing and adding softness to the hair (note: honey is also natures natural antiseptic and antibacterial ingredient). The New shampoo bar is great for scalp stimulation. Scalp stimulation promotes a healthy scalp and fuller hair. For those who are suffering from hair loss, I highly recommend it. You can even try adding a little bit of peppermint oil or cinnamon to your regular shampoo.
♡ Conditioning ♡
I like to switch off between two conditioners depending on how my hair is feeling. Retread and American Cream are the two conditioners I've been using constantly since working at LUSH. I've gone through a couple of these now and my hair really enjoys them. I use whichever I'm feeling in the mood for, but I typically choose Retread if I've been using a lot of heat on my hair because it's a much thicker conditioner in contrast to American Cream, so it will help condition my hair more. But that doesn't mean that American Cream isn't great too, the lanolin in American Cream is great because it helps coat the hair with silky smoothness without weighing it down. The strawberries are also good for the scalp and add strength and luster to hair! For those who have easily tangled hair, you will love American Cream!
Another conditioner I really like but don't have a bottle of is the Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner which you can find at Target. I've repurchased Shea Moisture conditioners plenty of times. It's great because it is a two-in-one-product, being a conditioner and a leave-in at the same time. It's thick and creamy and leaves my hair feeling really soft and healthy. If you have very fine thin hair and trouble with volume, I wouldn't recommend it because it's really thick and creamy.
♡ Moisturize ♡
The last step to my hair care routine is using a leave-in conditioner. Much like your face, you want to moisturize your hair too! Currently, I'm using R&B. This is a dense hair moisturizer from LUSH filled with coconut oil, jojoba oil, avocado butter, and much more! I only use a tiny amount and it replenishes my hair with moisture. It also makes your hair smell amazing, which is always a plus! I apply about a penny-sized amount into my palms, rub them together and run it through the bottom half of my hair. Whatever is remaining, I run it through the top of my hair and leave it in. This helps add extra moisture to my hair and protects it from heat. I also like the Organix Moroccan Argan Oil but I've run out of it.
These are all the products that I use in my hair (◡‿◡✿) If you use any of these products, let me know how it works for you! ♡
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
✿ Tips for Healthy Hair ✿
- Use less heat on your hair
- Always use a heat protectant when using heat on your hair.
- Try not to use hot water when washing your hair.
- Try to train your hair to go longer without washes. Your hair creates natural oils that are good for your scalp. Shampooing too often can strip your scalp of its natural oils and create dryness and breakage.
- Tip: To train your hair, use dry shampoo or put your hair up to go longer in-between washes. Training your hair to go longer between washes can take up to several months depending on the person. Be patient. ♡
- Rinse your hair with cold water to seal your hair follicles after washing.
- DO NOT brush your hair when it's wet. Brush your hair before washing to prevent breakage during washes.
- Wait until it's 80% dry to brush it.
- Use a wide-tooth comb to brush it.
- Let your hair air-dry after washes.
- Use hair treatments weekly to promote healthy scalp and hair (it doesn't have to be expensive, you can use simple things like extra virgin coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, etc.).
- Trim your dead ends if/when necessary.
- Stimulate your scalp: adding peppermint oil or cinnamon to your shampoo before washing, or even just brushing your hair regularly will help stimulate your scalp and promote hair growth.
Remember, prepping and taking care of your hair/scalp is just as important as any other part of your body. And changes don't just happen over night. Patience and consistency is key. It's also important to keep an open mind, listen to what your body is telling you, and try new things!
If you found this post helpful please like, comment, and follow. ♡
wow your hair is v nice and lush-cious (ha ha get it bc lush)
ReplyDeleteok bye
Thank you very much for the very funny thing
DeleteGreat blog post! I love R&B too :)
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'm so glad you liked the post. R&B Is great! And it smells amazing too! ♡*:・゚✧
Deletenext time I go to Lush, I'm gonna ask about the Honey I Washed My Hair shampoo you mentioned, it sounds lovely!! ♡
ReplyDelete